June 17, 2010

Graduation: Dan & Diane

Friday was a very important day in my family's life. My little sister graduated from college!
And not just any college.
Caltech to be exact.
With honors.
Yes, my little sis is a genius.

And we are ridiculously proud of her.

My mom had the bright idea of doing a graduation/love shoot with my sister and her boyfriend (who also graduated!) before they head off to Yale(!!!) in August to get their PHD's. Did I mention they are brilliant?

Dan & Diane, thank you for letting me shoot you guys. I know it was hard to be romantic and cutesy in front of your big sis, but I think the pictures turned out amazing! I hope you are having fun in Europe and we'll miss you when you go to Yale!
DianeGrad001.jpg

Diane2.jpg

Caltech has a funny way of putting their students into dorms. They have houses, like Harry Potter. The first week of freshman year they get a chance to check out all the houses, rank their favorite houses while the houses rank their favorite students, and then they get sorted into the house that they will live with, eat with, and party with for the next four years.

My sister and her boyfriend Dan happen to be in the best house at Caltech, Fleming! They are known as the jocks of Tech and their nickname is "Big Red". They have a cannon that sits outside their house that they set off for special events and is kind of the symbol of their house. You might have heard of this cannon before since Harvey Mudd & MIT has stolen it as a prank a few times... Needless to say, this cannon is kinda important to these Flems.

Diane3.jpg

I swear they love each other...

DianeGrad008.jpg

DianeGrad009.jpg

On top of being geniuses and sports stars, Dan & Diane also somehow find time to be amazing swing dancers. I think they've found a way to add more hours to the day and they arn't sharing their secret with the rest of us :)

Diane5.jpg

Diane6.jpg

Facebook picture!

Diane1.jpg

If you're a huge fan of NUMB3RS like I am, you might recognize this staircase.

DianeGrad016.jpg

Thank you for being cheesy for me Dan :)

Diane7.jpg

DianeGrad018.jpg

DianeGrad019.jpg

Caltech has some of the most amazing architecture. Across from the brand new chemistry building was this amazing window. Who would have though?

Diane8.jpg

Diane4.jpg

DianeGrad025.jpg

My little chemistry major!

DianeGrad026.jpg

This pool is called the "Gene Pool". It's got the shape of DNA tiled into the bottom of the pool.

Just a little nerd humor for you :)

DianeGrad027.jpg

DianeGrad029.jpg

DianeGrad030.jpg

DianeGrad031.jpg

Diane9.jpg

If you know anything about Caltech you might know that their color is Orange. That being said, you might get a little confused if you went to a Caltech graduation and saw a group of students graduating in red robes. Well one thing you should know about Flems... they like to break the rules. They are the only house to graduate in their color. And the other houses hate it. But they are Flems and they do it anyway.

Plus, it makes spotting them in a crowd pretty easy :)

Diane10.jpg

Diane11.jpg

Diane12.jpg

Dan and his proud parents:

DianeGrad004.jpg

Diane and her proud parents:

DianeGrad043.jpg

The proud sister (and sister's husband).
Did I mention we look nothing alike?

Diane13.jpg

Happy Graduation!

DianeGrad047.jpg

0 comments: